Conceived and Produced by: San Jose Taiko
Directed by: San Jose Taiko and Epic Immersive
San Jose’s historic Japantown bursts into a series of explorable interactive experiences, bringing to life its history and future.
When: Saturday, May 12 5:30 - 9:30PM
Where: San Jose Japantown
Cost: FREE thanks to Knight Foundation & California Arts Council Creative California Communities.
Performance Schedule (updated 4/27/18)
5:30 - 5:35PM Opening at 5th & Jackson
5:40 - 6:10PM Pop-up performances by San Jose Buddhist Church choir, Lotus Taiko (Preschool), and Asagao Taiko (Seniors)
6:30 - 7:15PM Marquee performance: SWINGPOSIUM
7:20 - 8:10PM Pop-up performances by Wesley Jazz Ensemble, ContainHer, Halau Na Wai Ola, Kyle Abbott, and Ukulele Jams!
8:30 - 9:15PM Marquee performance: SJT, The Get Down Dance Studio, DJ Cutso of The Bangerz
Throughout the evening Japantown will come alive with activities scattered throughout the neighborhood. Information booths with maps, menus, and schedules will be available for all who come to the event. The evening kicks off at 5:30PM at 5th & Jackson, the center of San Jose's Japantown. From there, attendees can enjoy three types of experiences:
1. HANDS-ON EXPERIENCES: ongoing
- Learn to play Hanafuda (a classic Japanese card game)
- LED uchiwa (fan) making
- Learn about the Internment Camp experience
- Bon Odori pop-up dance school
- Japantown Secrets Scavenger Hunt
- Learn the Japanese New Year's tradition of pounding mochi
- and more!
2. POP-UP PERFORMANCES: brief 10-minute street performances from Japantown-based artists with occasional San Jose Taiko flavorings
- San Jose Betsuin Youth & Adult Choir
- Kyle Abbott and Bachido (shamisen)
- Containher (vocalist) with special guest Steve Nakano (sax)
- Halau Na Wai Ola (hula)
- Lotus Preschool Taiko
- Asagao Taiko (Yu-Ai Kai senior group)
- Ukulele Jams students
3. MARQUEE PERFORMANCES: large-scale San Jose Taiko collaborative productions
Swingposium (40 minutes): Epic Immersive, Wesley Jazz Ensemble, and San Jose Taiko join forces once again to celebrate how Big Band music & dance were sources of hope at WWII Internment Camps. If you missed last year's time-travel experience, join us as we bring you a condensed version.
SJT/DJ Cutso/The Get Down Studio (40 minutes): For those of you who enjoyed our collaboration with The Bangerz, we're bringing it back to the streets! Japantown residents DJ Cutso provides the tracks, The Get Down Dance Studios provide the moves, and we provide the taiko. Sound stage provided by the San Jose Jazz Boombox!