Halloween in Japantown
Are you ready for Halloween in Japantown? Check out this trick-or-treating map for all the details!
Here are some Frequently Asked Questions about our 2018 Halloween in Japantown:
When is Halloween in Japantown this year?
Wednesday, October 31 from 4PM to 8PM
Will the streets be closed to vehicle traffic again?
YES! Last year was such a success that the Knight Foundation is making it possible to close the streets for this safety-conscious community event.
When will street closures go into effect?
Streets will close at 3:00PM and open back up at 8:30PM
Which streets will be closed?
See map. Jackson will be closed from 4th to 6th as it was last year. 5th will be closed from just south of the Betsuin annex driveway down to the Issei Memorial Building driveway.
What's happening this year?
Besides the trick-or-treating supported by so many wonderful Japantown businesses and organizations check out the schedule below for all the activities that have been confirmed. Updates will be made to this page and maps with schedule will be available at the event.
What's the best way to get to Japantown that evening?
Where possible we’d like to invite folks to try to get to Japantown without using a car. There will be free bike parking (thanks to San Jose Buddhist Church, Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition, and Knight Foundation!) as well as designated areas for rideshare pickup/dropoff (see map). For those up for walking 5 blocks there is lightrail. For folks that must drive we recommend the public parking lot off of Jackson between 6th and 7th Street.
Schedule and activities for Halloween in Japantown 2018:
- San Jose JACL arts & crafts at Issei Memorial Building at 565 North 5th Street. Ends at 6:30PM
- San Jose Taiko performance in the street near Issei Memorial Building. Lotus Preschool Taiko will kick things off!
- Safety presentation by San Jose Taiko & San Jose Police Department
- Corinne Okada Takara starts her fun “Layers of SJ” maker booth in front of Roy’s Station. Ends at 7PM
- Halloween Carnival & Dance at Northside Community Center hosted by Grace Art and Wellness Program (FREE admission). Ends at 8PM
- Trick-or-treating in Japantown! Merchants & organizations will be giving away treats to all kids in costume
- “Trunk ‘N Treat” from Wesley United Methodist Church. This will take place in their parking lot on 5th Street
- Take photos with “J-Town Halloween Drummers” (San Jose Taiko) throughout Japantown
- Children’s book giveaway by Japantown Business Association will be giving away free children’s books! Limited availability so pick yours up after the taiko performance
- 7:00PM Thriller Flashmob back by popular demand and hosted by The Get Down Dance Studio. This will take place on the street at 5th and Jackson
Highlights from 2016’s event: