Halloween in Japantown 2019
Here are some Frequently Asked Questions about our Halloween in Japantown:
When is Halloween in Japantown this year?
Thursday, October 31 from 4PM to 8PM
What's happening this year?
Trick-or-treating supported by so many wonderful Japantown businesses and organizations, taiko performances, and more! Updates will be made to this page. Trick-or-treating maps with schedule will be available at the event.
- San Jose JACL arts & crafts at Issei Memorial Building at 565 North 5th Street. Ends at 6:30PM
- San Jose Taiko performance in the street near Issei Memorial Building. Lotus Preschool Taiko will kick things off!
- Safety presentation by San Jose Taiko & San Jose Police Department
- Corinne Okada Takara “Light-up Shadow Puppets” maker booth between JT Express & J.Morey Company on Jackson. Ends at 7PM
- Halloween Carnival & Dance at Northside Community Center hosted by Grace Art and Wellness Program (FREE admission). Ends at 8PM
- Trick-or-treating in Japantown! Merchants & organizations will be giving away treats to all kids in costume
- “Trunk ‘N Treat” from Wesley United Methodist Church. This will take place in their parking lot on 5th Street
- Take photos with “J-Town Halloween Drummers” (San Jose Taiko) throughout Japantown
Will the streets be closed to vehicle traffic again for 2019?
YES! Last year was such a success that the Knight Foundation is making it possible to close the streets for this safety-conscious community event.
When will street closures go into effect?
Streets will close at 3:00PM and open back up at 8:30PM
Which streets will be closed?
See map. Jackson will be closed from 4th to 6th as it was last year. 5th will be closed from just south of the Betsuin annex driveway down to the Issei Memorial Building driveway.
What's the best way to get to Japantown that evening?
Where possible we’d like to invite folks to try to get to Japantown without using a car. There will be free bike parking (thanks to Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition and Knight Foundation!) as well as designated areas for rideshare pickup/dropoff (see map). There is also the Japantown/Ayer Lightrail stop on 1st street near Jackson.
Schedule and activities for Halloween in Japantown 2019 coming soon!
Highlights from 2016’s event: